Seven Things To Know About Herbert Wigwe, Late Access Bank CEO
It was a tragic development on Saturday, as helicopter carrying Herbert Wigwe, the Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Holding, and five other people crashed around the California-Nevada Border.
Though no official confirmation has been made from the bank holding company as at press time, sources with knowledge of the matter confirm to newsmen that Herbert Wigwe was on board the helicopter but cannot ascertain whether his wife or children were involved.
Here are seven (7) things to know about the late Access Bank CEO:
1. Mr Wigwe started his professional career with Coopers & Lybrand Associates, an international firm of Chartered Accountants .
2. He spent over 10 years at Guaranty Trust Bank Plc where he managed several portfolios, including financial institutions, large corporates, and multinationals.
3. He left Guaranty Trust Bank as an Executive Director to co-lead the transformation of Access Bank Plc in March 2002 as Deputy Managing Director. He was appointed Group Managing Director/CEO effective January 1, 2014, and served in that capacity till May 2022. He was subsequently appointed a Non-Executive Director of the Bank effective May 2022.
4. The CEO is an alumnus of the Harvard Business School Executive Management Programme.
5. He holds a master’s degree in Banking and International Finance from the University College of North Wales, a master’s degree in Financial Economics from the University of London, and a B.Sc. degree in Accounting from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
6. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN).
7. He is also a member of the Governing Council of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria.